Kalamazoo, MI Child Care
The Discovery Center Child Care And Preschool
The Discovery Center Pre-School and Childcare is a hometown, non-profit pre-school and child care center established in 1976 that has been dedicated to providing a quality program to children ages 6 weeks to 6 years that:
Is Developmentally Appropriate
- Child centered, open-ended, hands on learning that engages all senses.
- Allows the child to become independent, grow with their interests, work at their own pace, bolster their strengths and instill confidence.
- Features large blocks of time each day for the child to work on and complete projects.
Enlists Play as a Way to Introduce Learning Skills
- We do our best to keep alive in children the joy and wonder of life, learning, and the world around them.
- We have fun!
Teaches Children Problem Solving and Conflict Negotiation Skills
- To respect and care for others, the environment and themselves.
- Encourages and enhances social interactions
Offers a Homelike Atmosphere
- Children are not confined to one room during the day, but guided by their interests, and assisted by nurturing adults, can move and learn.
- Healthy, fresh, home cooked meals and snacks provided.
- Provides creative experiences each day in science, cooking, art, language, math, geography, life skills, dramatic play, music, gross and fine motor
- Frequent field trips
Has an Amazing, Half Acre Play Yard
- Certified NatureExplore™ playyard
- Natural areas such as a tall grass prairie, sledding hill, mini woodland with cave, dry streambed, climbing trees, space to run and play games
- Climbers, sandboxes, playhouses, pirate ship, teepee, car
- Vegetable and fruit gardens
- Areas for art, building, and making music are available
- Loose parts for children to invent their own activities
Provides Low Teacher to Child Ratios
- 1:3 infants, 1:4 toddlers, 1:6 transition children, 1:8 pre-school children
- Experienced, professional, teachers who care, degreed in education and constantly updating knowledge
- Longevity of staff
Welcomes Parents into the Program
- Takes pictures that are posted at the center and on Snapfish.
Call Discovery Center Pre-School and Childcare at 269-372-0007 for more information.